Monday, February 23, 2009

Pictures

Here I am at recess with the kids. I almost fell over because they were all pulling on me so hard!

Nikki and I after our mile long river race! I finished in 25 minutes!

Most of my group wearing our International Student t-shirts



Playing in the cribbage tournament, my team made it to the semi-finals.


Getting ready to surf, I'm the farthest on the left...with the big behind!





The kids love to get very close!

My flatmates after going out for dinner for our "date night"


The dung beetle very close up, and yes about the size of a golf ball!

Me with my trusty old surfboard that kicked my butt in the waves! I had so many scratches and bruises from that thing!

Okay and for a few updates and responses:
Cassie, law school sounds hard.
Nina, snowmobiling in the front yard sounds more fun!
But I can't believe you all have snow! And every report tells me it is cold in MN? Haha!
Anna and Mac, picking up that elephant dung was nothing. Because when we were at Kate's, we ate dung! Her family plays a game like spitting watermelon seeds...but with pieces of antelope dung! It was all dried out and it didn't taste like anything. But man, I can't believe I did that!
Linda, I talked to some kids the other day about snow. And they were just fascinated by how I talked about snow back home. Most people here have never seen snow. It doesn't even come in the mountains that close I heard.
Oh and I didn't say this before, but what I forgot to pack was slippers...I think that's what I put on the list. I know it wasn't underwear cause I got some on right now....
And for this week's question, it is pretty important to know what they're called. Because when we're in the Combies, and we say, "drop us off at the next light" the driver doesn't know what we're talking about. So that's something we've picked up on.
Umm quick update of the weekend. It was pretty low key, I did a lot of homework. Got a little sun. Swam my race and that was fun. I did pretty well, finished one mile in 25 minutes. I got to talk to the lions club there who were selling brats and such. So that was cool! I asked them if anyone was coming to the International Convention in MN but I guess it was too far to drive or something?
Oh and I put a bunch of pictures up on Facebook too, so check those out if you can. And I uploaded a video of the children at Pendla Primary School singing during the welcome ceremony. Very nice. So go to youtube.com for that. And search the videos with "lauren in south africa." Hopefully that works!! I think I should have 3 videos in there now. And I'm trying right now to get the one of Mac and I singing, maybe it will work this time!! Try this link to get to the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wR1qEh-3W4
It's getting pretty late here, so I'll just be posting more later. I need to talk about my volunteering this week and such!
Signing off, Lauren

2 comments:

  1. How will you ever say goodbye to those kids!? I did try the link to the school music and it worked great and is worth a visit. I did try commenting a couple days ago, and there must have been something wrong as it didn't work. Tonight I am going out with Dar and 3 other PEO sisters for an orientation meeting. Should be a fun night. By now you are about ready to start your last day for the week and we are expecting a snow storm. mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey lo. Looks like some good times with the kids. They look so cute. Can you bring one home with you?? Like mom said we are expecting a blizzard here today, 6-8 inches today. I will talk to you next weekend cause i will be gone on our retreat. i am at school now, in class, missed the past 2 days cause i was sick but am back today , even though not much better. Hope your week is going better. have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete