Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Night Before

Hey everyone...this is another (almost) pointless post, but I just have to write because Mac and I had some fun tonight (see link below).

I'm all packed, all my bags are zipped shut although I'm sure I'll find more to add tomorrow morning. We'll be waking up early tomorrow, 4:30 to get all ready and on the road by 5:30. Rory (my awesome boyfriend) is coming with me and he has a flight to Atlanta that leaves at 7:45. My flight doesn't leave until 10:15, but I'm going to try to hop onto the earlier flight so we don't have to fly alone.

From Atlanta, we have till 3:40pm to change our minds and then we're on our way to Johannesburg! I think its an 18 hour flight with a 1 1/2 hour stop in Dakar, Senegal to refuel. I'm pretty sure we don't get to get off the plane there, but I'll let you know what the runway looks like.

Arriving in Johannesburg right around dinner time on Thursday (maybe around 9am Thursday in MN). Kate (exchange student my family hosted when I was in high school) will be picking us up. We'll have Friday to get situated, sleep and go to to the mall while Kate is at work. But then Friday-Monday we'll be at her parents house "in the bush." I think it's near a game reserve so we'll be seeing the Big 5 (take that poll down the page on the left side).

Doo doo doo, see the video and I'll be posting once we get there!

I couldn't upload this onto the blog, so you'll have to go to YouTube to see it. Use the link below, or go to youtube.com and search "lauren in south africa." I'm pretty sure it'll be worth it!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52SGuLEBdOE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5yzYx6hWS4

5 comments:

  1. okay so the video didn't upload very well last night, but i'll work on that while i'm at the airport so check back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blogspot doesn't seem to like large video files. Small clips seem to work better, so good luck with that.
    We're excited about following your adventures. Have a great time!

    Steve and Dar

    ReplyDelete
  3. When do we get to find out what the Big 5 are?? I voted...guess I'll have to be patient and see how I did. Marty and I just got in from walking on the lake with our snow shoes. Possibly, not a winter activity in So Africa. Looking forward to keeping up with your trip...thanks for blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that was an awesome video guys. *cough* i think everyone would much rather watch your and mine song Lauren. Glad to hear you made it saftly there, and WELCOME TO SOUTH AFRICA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rory...any chance you were hungry? ;) I hope you arrived safely and are enjoying jet lag. I can't wait for the first update from South Africa! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete