Sunday, February 1, 2009

1st Night in Port Elizabeth






















In no great order, the pictures are:
1. warthogs drinking and eating outside their house
2. the view from the upper deck of the house
3. our first braii (barbeque). we got to eat warthog and kudu. it was really great. there was also steak and chicken, so a really manly meal!
4. me in close proximity to a giraffe
5. rory sitting on the "tracker's seat" of the game drive vehicle
6. me before i flew to atlanta
7. an awesome pic of a springbok
I'm also going to try to post another video on you tube, so go to youtube.com and search lauren in south africa! you should all be really mad that i couldn't get the first one to upload. It was Mac and I, the night before I left singing an old Companeros favorite with different words. If the idea of me singing doesn't make you laugh, the Companeros song would. I'll still try and get that one up!
So sorry I haven't written in about a week, I really mean to keep up on this. It was just hard to find time to hop on the internet when we were at Kate's house because we were pretty busy. But now I am in Port Elizabeth (PE) and have limited acess to the internet. Hopefully the problem will be resolved, but right now we're paying per minute.

Anyway, here's what's happened since the Friday night in the bush. As I said we went on game drives, which is when you drive around looking for animals. The Kearneys have a game drive vehicle (large jeep, 5 rows of almost stadium like seating) so we went out in that. I don't remember how many game drives we went on but it was a lot. Each time we saw a ton of animals, I have lots of great pictures and some animals got really close too. My favorite were the zebra. Rory liked all of the bucks (springbok, blisbok, I don't remember more names but there are like 10 kinds). And I know you've all been patiently waiting to find out which of South Africa's Big 5 I saw. So they are cape buffalo, elephant, leopard, lion and rhino. Of those, I actually only saw the lion. But I also saw babboon,s vivart (sp?) monkeys, warthogs, zebra, wildebeest, giraffe, all those kinds of bucks. I can't even remember what all we saw, I'll have to look through the pictures again. And I saw the lions in a special enclosure.

The rest of the time in the bush, we sat around had good food, took naps (because we were still recovering from the time difference and because it was like a cabin and thats just what you do), and played Farkle (I brought the game and got everyone hooked). It was so great to stay in this house and I am so lucky to have gone!! When I got to PE everyone here was very impressed by how much I already knew about SA, they thought I had been here before or something.

We went back to Johannesburg with Kate and her brother, John, on Monday. The rest of this week was spent touring around Jo-burg with John. He dropped his mountain bike on his achilles tendon and is unable to drive. So Rory drove us around and John just guided. Driving on the left side of the road was an adventure, but it definitely helped to have John there. He took us to the Lion Park where we got to drive around lion enclosures. Lions seriously came right up to the car. And cars don't seem that safe when you have a full grown male lion looking at you through your window! Here we also got to play with 4 month old lion cubs. You know me though, I didn't play that much with the kittys but Rory and John did. The cubs would "friendly" bite and scratch you, it was a play at your own risk sort of deal. We would have spent more time playing with the cubs if it wasn't for SA's annual summer 7 day of rain stretch!


We also went on a World of Beer tour and tried some good South African beers (Castle Lager is the most prevalent) but they also have Miller Genuine Draft, called "Millas" because they don't pronounce the "r." That deal was 2 1/2 beers, the tour and a beer glass for $2.50 American! Not everything is that cheap here, but most things are a little cheaper than back home.



Kate's 25th birthday was on Tuesday and we went out for a seafood dinner. It was great and fun to go. Friday was her birthday party, she rented out a section of an upscale bar near her house and invited 40 of her closest friends. It was great though, I met a lot of people. Including Grahm Smith, captain of the SA Cricket team. He was very friendly and glad to take a pic with the Americans.



Then Saturday morning Gary, Kate's boyfriend, and Rory dropped me off at the airport. It was very sad to leave. I had so much fun staying at Kate and Gary's and felt used to being there. Saying goodbye to Rory was also a little sad.



Got to PE yesterday, I'm the only one in my apartment so far. The other 4 Bennies leave MN today and will be here tomorrow I think. But there are other CSB/SJU students in the building that I've been hanging out with. Yesterday we went to the beach and out for dinner. It's very beautiful here. I've got an ocean view from my bedroom, a balcony and the biggest apartment. We're right across the street from the beach so it's very cool. But the street is very noisy all the time. And they don't do daylight savings time here so in the summer it gets light at like 5:30am and dark around 7:00 or something.


Anyway that's enough posting for now, hopefully not tooooo long! But I'll write more again soon! Give me some updates of back home, I heard there is a warm spell??



Love, Lauren

10 comments:

  1. Great to hear from you! What an adventure you are having. I can't wait to see Rory today and hear 1st hand about your 10 days! I hope to see some of his pictures too! Glad you made it to PE safe and sound too. Love mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear all the cool animals you have gotten to see. Maybe we will see more pictures of them when we pick Rory up from the airport today. I am very jelous of your ocean view and the warm weather, yesterday it got up to a woping 40 degrees. hope your advantures continue Lauren.
    Love Mac

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for the update. I have been checking :) I am glad to hear that things are going so well, and you are right about the warm streak. Fargo hit 38 yesterday! (And...it said "feels like 25) which is still pretty wonderful. I love the pics Lo, especially the one with you and the giraffe in the back -- you look very adventuresome! I might add this to every response...but I am still jealous...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren, it was so great having you stay with us, great times and awesome memories! Pity is was so short!
    cant wait to hear all about the rest of your South African adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lauren...what an adventure you are having! What luck to have Kate as a connect and have the safari experience. Love the pictures and the update. Marty and I spent the weekend with our college friends in Fargo...had a great time bringing up old stories and memories. And now, you are making memories yourself. Hope your fellow Bennies makie it safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lauren:
    It was great to hear from you and thank you for sharing your awesome pictures. We have been busy with hockey (I have 3 boys in hockey), basketball, swimming lessons, ice fishing contest, spaghetti feed and having boys' friends over.
    Have a great week.
    The RW Crew

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lauren - your mom told us you were in South Africa when we visited a few weeks ago. What an awesome adventure. Sounds like you are having a blast. I look forward to seeing more pics, although I know how frustrating uploading can be. Maybe someday next year I'll see the actual scrapbook of your trip! :)
    Jen in Nevada

    ReplyDelete
  8. Big lo...what a fun adventure you are having! I am really glad you pointed out the giraffe in the picture with you because I didn't see it the first time around. :) You may want to ask your cousin Anna if she has some news for you....

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  9. okay yeah Anna what's up? we got another 1-800 on our hands? I think this is the place to spread the news....oh wait where are you moving to for school?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. so I totally didn't see this before -- i am moving to Baltimore to go to school at Johns Hopkins! :)

    ReplyDelete