Hello over there!
Just got back from a tour of Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University…it’s a beautiful campus!! But oh so large, and almost pointless because I really didn’t learn where anything is. I was lost the whole time, but I’m pretty sure that’s how everyone feels when they’re on a college tour. Anyway it’s full of beautiful (although all concrete) buildings and tons of very cool trees. My favorite part of the campus is that there are signs ALL OVER that say “Beware of monkeys. Do not feed the monkeys.” It is a very exciting prospect to have monkeys on campus, but in the whole tour we only saw one monkey. I saw where our classes will be held. We start on February 9th. We were also fed a bagged lunch that consisted of an apple, a sandwich with lettuce, tomato and cheese (I had a cheese only one) and a water bottle. No one got filled up from that lunch and we still had a lecture and a long walk to do afterward. All meals are smaller here than at home. I always ate fine at Kate’s, but I’ll tell you, the worst thing in the world is to go out to eat at a nice restaurant and come home hungry! That totally defeats the purpose of going out to eat!
The rest of this week we have orientation at the school and for the city. We’ll be having a variety of tours. So real life doesn’t really seem like a study abroad life yet, more like a vacation life. But that’s okay too! Next week reality will hit with my Monday-Wednesday days of class (yes, Thursdays and Fridays off).
But my roommates and I are just about to go for a walk on Beach Rd (the one we live on) so I’ll be heading out now. Hope you’re all having good days at work and school. Good to hear all the comments. How was the big family reunion at the lake? I never heard about that, did you catch any fish? Get any snow mobiles stuck??
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Good to know I fed you well and you didnt starve! Cant wait to see pics of the University... be careful of the monkeys, they might steal your cheese sandwiches!
ReplyDeleteIsn't that the truth about any college campus tour?! You never know where you are going, or what you just saw. I guess it is the thought that counts. You and Cassie have the same schedule this semester -- I hope that you don't work too hard on those Mondays through Wednesdays to keep you from enjoying your four day weekend!
ReplyDeleteWill there be a dress code on campus, or is it good old jeans and tees? We are still bundled up like unrecognizble snow people here. They say it's going to bust wide open and be in the 30's this week...wahoo! What is your daytime temp in Elizabeth Town?
ReplyDelete