Monday, April 13, 2009

Parliament, Robben Island and Lions Head

On Friday we took a tour of Parliament. South Africa has two capitals, Pretoria is the capital for the president and Cape Town is the capital for legislature. I think that’s right, Kate? The tour was interesting and educational, however Parliament was not in session so we just saw a bunch of empty buildings! After this we went to see Robben Island! This is where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned for 17 years (an additional 10 years were spent at other prisons). We got a tour of the whole island, which is only a couple miles off the coast of Cape Town. The island is now home to a village of people, all who work at the museum that was built out of the former prison. We took a bus tour of the whole island and then had a tour of the cell blocks, including the cell where Mandela lived. Our tour guide was a former political prisoner and gave us tons of stories of his personal experiences. This tour was so interesting and educational and when I left I was feeling very sad.

Saturday was a free day, so I spent the morning relaxing and reading. I started reading the popular Twilight series (the one about the vampire love affair you probably have heard about or seen the movie previews). I am caught up in the series and that is distracting me from my school work now haha. Anyway after I read half of my book, I hiked Lions Head with my friend Kirby. Its a mountain that looks like a Lions Head from the profile view. I wanted to do Table Mountain but no one else who didn’t go the other day wanted to and Kirby had already done Table Mountain. So we hiked the mountain that is half its size and right next to it. It was still a great hike and we got to see the beautiful city and a nice view of Table Mountain. Kirby decided for us that we would take the more rigorous trail that required us to use ladders and chains to climb up. So that was an experience! I’ll put up a funny picture of me trying to get up the chains.

1 comment: