Monday, April 13, 2009
Stellenbosch
Monday we picked up our rental cars, early in the morning and drove to Stellenbosch. Stellenbosch is in the heart of wineland country and about 45 minutes away from Cape Town. There is also a university there, so we fit right in! We checked into our backpackers and hopped on a minibus to go on our wine tour from 10-5 (almost a full-time job I know!) We went to 4 vineyards and out to lunch. My favorite wine was a Chenin Blanc (dry white). We saw how wine was made, tasted wines, tasted cheeses and homemade breads, and just had a great time. I feel like an expert on wine now, so this summer I’ll help pick out some good ones for us to taste around the fire. I bought a couple of bottles, but I haven’t decided yet if I’ll be able to bring them home with me or not. After the wine tour we went out to eat at Cubana and had some more Mexican food (something that we all miss). Something scary happened on this night. I guess around 3am some girls who were staying in the hostel decided to make pizza. Somehow, they left the gas stove on and went to sleep. Luckily, my roommate Alison woke up around 5am or so and smelled the gas and immediately went and switched it off. She then checked on all of us and made sure we were still awake because the gas smell was so strong in our room. We told the hostel owners about the problem, but nothing was ever really done. Thankfully, we were only staying there one night.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment